From Edward Capriolo <edlinuxg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra 0.7.8 and 0.8.1 fail when major compaction on 37GB database
Date Wed, 27 Jul 2011 14:07:34 GMT
On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 7:40 AM, lebron james <lebron.mail@gmail.com> wrote:

> Why when i give jvm 1 GB heap size and try launch cassandra with 37GB
> database, cassandra start loading database, but after memory usage full,
> they fall with OutOfMemory Exception. Cassandra can`t work with low memory?
> or she critical need more RAM if database grows?
> here is link to download cassndra dist 0.8.2 with my 37GB database
> http://213.186.117.181/apache-cassandra-0.8.2-bin.zip

Cassandra's bloom filters must fit in memory. In addition each index file is
sampled (check the index_interval in cassandra.yaml)

# The Index Interval determines how large the sampling of row keys
#  is for a given SSTable. The larger the sampling, the more effective
#  the index is at the cost of space.
index_interval: 128

You can adjust index_interval to load large datasets with not-so-large
memory JVM, but 1GB heap for 37 GB database is not the best way to go.

How much ram does your system have?