From Suman Ghosh <sumanthew...@gmail.com>
Subject Cache layer in front of cassandra... any help / suggestions?
Date Fri, 15 Jul 2011 07:04:00 GMT
Hi,

We’re presently trying to use Cassandra as a storage/retrieval system for
live data & composite counters (on the data).

As we work on telecom data records (voice call/sms/GPRS xDRs), the data
volume is simply HUGE, and we definitely need a “controlled” caching
mechanism in front of the Cassandra layer.

By the term  “controlled cache layer”, what I am trying to suggest is
something like maybe maintaining a list of most high-usage (and therefore,
high occurrence) phone numbers somewhere, and the cache layer will hold all
live data and counters for those numbers in memory. Therefore, all
read/write operations which relate to that particular set of numbers will be
very fast, since there will be no physical disk usage. For all other records
in the data feed (which are not so frequent in occurrence) - the cache will
pass through read/write operations to the Cassandra store directly.

The basic caching mechanism provided by Cassandra seems to be inadequate for
this strategy L

Any ideas or suggestions how we might proceed for this?

Thanks & Regards,

SG.

--
Get me at GMail    --> sumanthewhiz[at]gmail[dot]com
... or there's Yahoo --> sumanthewhiz[at]yahoo[dot]com