From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: node repair eat up all disk io and slow down entire cluster(3 nodes)
Date Thu, 21 Jul 2011 11:52:12 GMT
What are you seeing in compaction stats ?

You may see some of  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-2280

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 21 Jul 2011, at 23:17, Yan Chunlu wrote:

> after tried nodetool -h reagon repair key cf, I found that even repair single CF, it
involves rebuild all sstables(using nodetool compactionstats), is that normal?

> On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 7:56 AM, Aaron Morton <aaron@thelastpickle.com> wrote:
> If you have never run repair also check the section on repair on this page
> http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/Operations About how frequently it should be run.
>
> There is an issue where repair can stream too much data, and this can lead to excessive
disk use.

> My non scientific approach to the never run repair before problem is to repair a single
CF at a time, starting with the small ones that are less likely to have differences as they
will stream the smallest amount of data.

> If you really want to conserve disk IO during the repair consider disabling the minor
compaction by setting the min and max thresholds to 0 via node tool.

> hope that helps.
>

> -----------------
> Aaron Morton
> Freelance Cassandra Developer
> @aaronmorton
> http://www.thelastpickle.com
>
> On 20/07/2011, at 11:46 PM, Yan Chunlu <springrider@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> just found this:
>>
>> but seems only available to 0.8 and people submitted a patch for 0.6, I am using
0.7.4, do I need to dig into the code and make my own patch?

>> does add compaction throttle solve the io problem?  thanks!
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 4:44 PM, Yan Chunlu <springrider@gmail.com> wrote:
>> at the beginning of using cassandra, I have no idea that I should run "node repair"
frequently, so basically, I have 3 nodes with RF=3 and have not run node repair for months,
the data size is 20G.

>> the problem is when I start running node repair now, it eat up all disk io and the
server load became 20+ and increasing, the worst thing is, the entire cluster has slowed down
and can not handle request. so I have to stop it immediately because it make my web service
unavailable.

>> the server has Intel Xeon-Lynnfield 3470-Quadcore [2.93GHz] and 8G memory, with Western
Digital WD RE3 WD1002FBYS SATA disk.

>> I really have no idea what to do now, as currently I have already found some data
loss, any suggestions would be appreciated.