From Stephen Pope <Stephen.P...@quest.com>
Subject Modeling troubles
Date Thu, 21 Jul 2011 13:18:35 GMT
For a side project I'm working on I want to store the entire set of possible Reversi boards.
There are an estimated 10^28 possible boards. Each board (from the best way I could think
of to implement it) is made up of 2, 64-bit numbers (black pieces, white pieces...pieces in
neither of those are empty spaces) and a bit to indicate who's turn it is. I've thought of
a few possible ways to do it:

-          Entire board as row key, in an array of bytes. I'm not sure how well Cassandra
can handle 10^28 rows. I could also break this up into separate cfs for each depth of move
(initially there are 4 pieces on the board in total. I could make a cf for 5 piece, 6, etc
to 64). I'm not sure if there's any advantage to doing that.

-          64-bit number for the black pieces as row key, with 65-bit column names (white
pieces + turn). I've read somewhere that there's a rough limit of 2-billion columns, so this
will be problematic for certain. This can also be broken into separate cfs, but I'm still
going to hit the column limit

Is there a better way to achieve what I'm trying to do, or will either of these approaches
surprise me and work properly?