Mark,

Solandra doesn't use secondary indexes, the functionality is too limited for the lucene api.  It maintain's it's own indexes in regular column families.  I suggest you look at Solr and decide if this is the functionality you need, Solandra offers the same api but on Cassandra's distributed model.

-Jake