Lots of folk use a single disk or raid-1 for the system and commit log and raid-0 for the data volumes http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/CassandraHardware

Your money is probably better spent on more nodes with more disks and more memory. More nodes is always better.

Happy to hear reasons otherwise.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
@aaronmorton

On 15 Jun 2011, at 15:50, Marcos Ortiz wrote:

El 6/14/2011 1:43 PM, Eric Czech escribiˇ:
Thanks Aaron.  I'll make sure to copy the system tables.

Another thing -- do you have any suggestions on raid configurations for main data drives?  We're looking at RAID5 and 10 and I can't seem to find a convincing argument one way or the other.
Well, I learned from administrating other databases (like PostgreSQL and Oracle) that RAID 10 is the best solution for data. With RAID 5, the discs suffer a lot for the excesive I/O and It can arrive to
data lost. You can search about the "RAID 5 Write Hole" to view this.

Thanks again for your help.