From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Migration question
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2011 11:45:48 GMT
Sounds like you are OK to turn off the existing cluster first.

Assuming so, deliver any hints using JMX then do a nodetool flush to write out all the memtables
and checkpoint the commit logs. You can then copy the data directories.

The System data directory contains the nodes token and the schema, you will want to copy this
directory. You may also want to copy the cassandra.yaml or create new ones with the correct
initial tokens.

The nodes will sort themselves out when they start up and get new IP's, the important thing
to them is the token.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 6 Jun 2011, at 23:25, Eric Czech wrote:

> Hi, I have a quick question about migrating a cluster.
>
> We have a cassandra cluster with 10 nodes that we'd like to move to a new DC and what
I was hoping to do is just copy the SSTables for each node to a corresponding node in the
new DC (the new cluster will also have 10 nodes).  Is there any reason that a straight file
copy like this wouldn't work?  Do any system tables need to be moved as well or is there anything
else that needs to be done?