From aaron morton <>
Subject Re: Clock skew
Date Mon, 27 Jun 2011 23:54:05 GMT
Without exception the timestamp is set by the client, not the server. The one exception to
the without exception rule is CounterColumnType operations.

If you are in a situation where you need better timing than you can get with ntp you should
try to design around it.
Hope that helps.
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer

On 28 Jun 2011, at 10:03, A J wrote:

> During writes, the timestamp field in the column is the system-time of
> that node (correct me if that is not the case and the system-time of
> the co-ordinator is what gets applied to all the replicas).
> During reads, the latest write wins.
> What if there is a clock skew ? It could lead to a stale write
> over-riding the actual latest write, just because the clock of that
> node is ahead of the other node. Right ?

View raw message