From Ian Holsman <had...@holsman.net>
Subject Re: Where is the Overview Documentation on Counters?
Date Fri, 10 Jun 2011 18:58:38 GMT
Hi AJ.

Counters are really cool for certain things..

The main benefit (from a high level perspective) is that you don't have to read the record
in to find the old value. (and stick a lock on the record to prevent it from changing underneath
you).

what I use them for is to increment page-views. I just read a log-line in, and can update
the rows without having to read it beforehand.. which is nice performance wise.

On Jun 10, 2011, at 2:18 PM, AJ wrote:

> I can't find any that gives an overview of their purpose/benefits/etc, only how to code
them.  I can only guess that they are more efficient for some reason but don't know exactly
why or exactly what conditions I would choose to use them over a regular column.