From David Boxenhorn <da...@citypath.com>
Subject Replication-aware compaction
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2011 08:14:20 GMT
Is there some deep architectural reason why compaction can't be
replication-aware?

What I mean is, if one node is doing compaction, its replicas
shouldn't be doing compaction at the same time. Or, at least a quorum
of nodes should be available at all times.

For example, if RF=3, and one node is doing compaction, the nodes to
its right and left in the ring should wait on compaction until that
node is done.

Of course, my real problem is that compaction makes a node pretty much
unavailable. If we can fix that problem then this is not necessary.