From Sasha Dolgy <>
Subject Re: Cassandra.yaml
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2011 08:00:50 GMT
Hi Vivek,

When I write client code in Java, using Hector, I don't specify a
cassandra.yaml ... I specify the host(s) and keyspace I want to
connect to.  Alternately, I specify the host(s) and create the
keyspace if the one I would like to use doesn't exist (new cluster for
example).  At no point do I use yaml file with my client code....

The conf/cassandra.yaml is there to tell the cassandra server how to
behave / operate when it starts ...

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 9:55 AM, Vivek Mishra
<> wrote:
> I have a query:
> I have my Cassandra server running on my local machine and it has loaded Cassandra specific
settings from
> apache-cassandra-0.8.0-src/apache-cassandra-0.8.0-src/conf/cassandra.yaml
> Now If I am writing a java program to connect to this server why do I need to provide
a new Cassandra.yaml file again?  Even if server is already up and running
> Even if I can create keyspaces, columnfamilies programmatically?  Isn’t it some type
of redundancy?
> Might be my query is a bit irrelevant.
> -Vivek

View raw message