From Vivek Mishra <vivek.mis...@impetus.co.in>
Subject getFieldValue()
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2011 10:03:52 GMT

From: Vivek Mishra
Sent: Friday, June 17, 2011 3:25 PM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: getFieldValue()

Hi,
I was looking into  getFieldValue method for SuperColumn and SlicePredicate apis.

It looks to me slight confusing as underlying APIs are returning Object and developer can
only be aware of type of object either by looking into Cassandra code base or by ClassCastException.

For example,

I need to retrieve column name  and it's value for a SuperColumnFamily "SuperCli" is:

List<KeySlice> keySlices = cassndraClient.get_range_slices(new ColumnParent(
                        "SuperCli"), slicePredicate, keyRange, ConsistencyLevel.ONE);
            System.out.println(keySlices.size()
                        + " No. of rows exist for the column family:" + "SuperCli");
            for( KeySlice slice :keySlices)
            {
                  city = "noida";
System.out.println(new String((byte[]) (slice.getColumns().get(0).getSuper_column().getFieldValue(org.apache.cassandra.thrift.SuperColumn._Fields.NAME))).toString());
            }

Am I doing something wrong or such typecasting is must? Shouldn't we hide this complexity
and handle it implicitly in CASSANDRA? Or may be introducing a Helper Class can reduce such
amount of code ?

Is it possible to retrieve a specific SuperColumn by specifying it's value in SliceRange query?

I can't see any method with  such search API and I believe it is a real time scenario.

SuperCli is a super column family holding number of dynamic super columns.

Write to us for a Free Gold Pass to the Cloud Computing Expo, NYC to attend a live session
by Head of Impetus Labs on 'Secrets of Building a Cloud Vendor Agnostic PetaByte Scale Real-time
Secure Web Application on the Cloud '.

Looking to leverage the Cloud for your Big Data Strategy ? Attend Impetus webinar on May 27
by registering at http://www.impetus.com/webinar?eventid=42 .

or interference.