From Chris Burroughs <chris.burrou...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 99.999% uptime - Operations Best Practices?
Date Thu, 23 Jun 2011 17:41:41 GMT
On 06/22/2011 07:12 PM, Les Hazlewood wrote:
> Telling me to read the mailing lists and follow the issue tracker and use
> monitoring software is all great and fine - and I do all of these things
> today already - but this is a philosophical recommendation that does not
> actually address my question.  So I chalk this up as an error on my side in
> not being clear in my question - my apologies.  Let me reformulate it :)

For what it's worth that was intended as a concrete suggestion.  We
adopted Cassandra a year ago when (IMHO) it was a mistake to do so it
without the willingness to develop sufficient in house expertise to
internally patch/fork/debug if needed.  Things are more mature now, best
practices more widespread etc., but you should judge that yourself.

In the spirit of your re-formulated questions:
 - Read-before-write is a Cassandra anti-pattern, avoid it if at all
possible.
 - Those optional lines in the env script about GC logging?  Uncomment
them on at least some of your boxes.
 - use MLOCKALL+mmap, or standard io, but not mmap without MLOCKALL.