From Benjamin Coverston <ben.covers...@datastax.com>
Subject Re: Backups, Snapshots, SSTable Data Files, Compaction
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2011 16:16:13 GMT
Hi AJ,

Unfortunately, for storage capacity planning it's a bit of a guessing
game. Until you run your load against it and profile the usage you just
are not going to know for sure. I have seen cases where planning to have
50% excess capacity/node was plenty, and I have seen other extreme cases
where 3x planned capacity was not enough when replica counts and entropy
levels are high.

Cassandra will _try_ to work within the resource restrictions that you
give it, but keep in mind that if it has excess resources in terms of
disk space it may be a bit more lazy than you would expect in getting
rid of some of the extra files that are sitting around waiting to be
deleted. You know if they are scheduled to be deleted have a .compacted
marker. If you want to actually SEE this happen use the stress.java or
stress.py tools and do several test runs with different workloads. I
think actually watching it happen would be enlightening for you.

Lastly while I have seen a few instances where people have chosen to use
node sizes with 10's of TB, it is an unusual case. Most node sizing I
have seen falls in the range of 20-250GB. Not to say that there aren't
workloads where having many TB/Node doesn't work, but if you're planning
to read from the data you're writing you do want to ensure that your
working set is stored in memory.

HTH,
Ben

--