From Benjamin Coverston <ben.covers...@datastax.com>
Subject Re: Backups, Snapshots, SSTable Data Files, Compaction
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2011 05:25:48 GMT
Hi AJ,

inline:

On 6/6/11 11:03 PM, AJ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am working on a backup strategy and am trying to understand what is
> going on in the data directory.
>
> I notice that after a write to a CF and then flush, a new set of data
> files are created with an index number incremented in their names,
> such as:
>
> Initially:
> Users-e-1-Filter.db
> Users-e-1-Index.db
> Users-e-1-Statistics.db
>
> Then, after a write to the Users CF, followed by a flush:
> Users-e-2-Filter.db
> Users-e-2-Index.db
> Users-e-2-Statistics.db
>
> Currently, my data dir has about 16 sets.  I thought that compaction
> (with nodetool) would clean-up these files, but it doesn't.  Neither
> does cleanup or repair.
You're not even talking about snapshots using nodetool snapshot yet.
Also nodetool compact does compact all of the live files, however the
compacted SSTables will not be cleaned up until a garbage collection is
triggered, or a capacity threshold is met.
> Q1: Should the files with the lower index #'s (under the
> data/{keyspace} directory) be manually deleted?  Or, do ALL of the
> files in this directory need to be backed-up?
Do not ever delete files in your data directory if you care about data
on that replica, unless they are from a column family that no longer
exists on that server. There may be some duplicate data in the files,
but if the files are in the data directory, as a general rule, they are
there because they contain some set of data that is in none of the other
SSTables.
> Q2: Can someone elaborate on the structure of these files and if they
> are interrelated?  I'm guessing that maybe each incremental set is
> like an incremental or differential backup of the SSTable, but I'm not
> sure.  The reason I ask is because I hope that each set isn't a full
> copy of the data, eg, if my data set size for a given CF is 1 TB, I
> will not end up with 16 TB worth of data files after 16 calls to
> flush... I suspect not, but I'm just double-checking ;o)

The are interrelated only in the sense that they contain data associated
with the same column family. Each set may contain a complete, partial,
or entirely independent set of the data depending on your write pattern
and the frequency of minor compactions.
> Q3: When and how are these extra files removed or reduced?
A GC or a threshold.

--
Ben Coverston
Director of Operations