From Donal Zang <zan...@ihep.ac.cn>
Subject slow insertion rate with secondary index
Date Sun, 05 Jun 2011 22:47:22 GMT
I did a insertion test with and without secondary indexes, and found that:
Without secondary index: ~10864 rows inserted per second
With secondary index on one column(BytesType): ~1515 rows inserted per
second
Is this normal? why secondary index would have so much affect?

I noticed that If I build the index using “update column family ...”
after I inserted all data (90578207 rows) , It will finish very quickly.
I'm not very clear about how the secondary index works, will some one
explain this ?
Thanks!
Donal