From Ian Holsman <>
Subject need some help with counters
Date Thu, 09 Jun 2011 19:41:24 GMT

I had a brief look at CASSANDRA-2103 (expiring counter columns), and I was wondering if anyone
can help me with my problem.

I want to keep some page-view stats on a URL at different levels of granularity (page views
per hour, page views per day, page views per year etc etc).

so my thinking was to create something a counter with a key based on Year-Month-Day-Hour,
and simply increment the counter as I go along.

this work's well and I'm getting my metrics beautifully put into the right places.

the only problem I have is that I only need the last 48-hours worth of metrics at the hour

how do I get rid of the old counters?
do I need to write a archiver that will go through each url (could be millions) and just delete

I'm sure other people have encountered this, and was wondering how they approached it.

View raw message