Thanks victor!

Aren't there any good ways by using Cassandra alone ?

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 11:41 PM, openvictor Open <openvictor@gmail.com> wrote:
Have you thought about user another kind of Database, which supports volative content for example ?

I am currently thinking about doing something similar. The best and simplest option at the moment that I can think of is Redis. In redis you have the option of querying keys with wildcards. Your problem can be done by just inserting an UUID into Redis for a certain amount of time ( the best is to tailor this amount of time as an inverse function of the number of keys existing in Redis).

With Redis
What I would do : I cut down time in pieces of X minutes ( 15 minutes, for example by truncating a timestamp). Let timestampN be the timestamp for the period of time ( [N,N+15] ), let Topic1 Topic2 be two topics then :

One or more people will view Topic 1 then Topic2 then again Topic1 in this period of 15 minutes
(HINCRBY is the Increment)
HINCRBY topics:Topic1:timestampN viewcount 1
HINCRBY topics:Topic2:timestampN viewcount 1
HINCRBY topics:Topic1:timestampN viewcount 1

Then you just query in the following way :

MGET topics:*:timestampN

* is the wildcard, you order by viewcount and you have what you are asking for !
This is a simplified version of what you should do but personnally I really like the combination of Cassandra and Redis.

Victor