From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Adding a new node
Date Mon, 09 May 2011 09:31:41 GMT
Gossip should help them converge on the truth.

Can you give an example of the different views from nodetool ring ?

Also check the logs to see if there is anything been logged about endpoints.

Hope that helps.

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 9 May 2011, at 18:11, Venkat Rama wrote:

> Thanks for the pointer.  I restarted entire cluster and started nodes at the same time.
However, I still see the issue.  The view is not consistant. Am running 0.7.5.
> In general, if a node with bad ring view starts first, then I guess the restart also
doesnt help as it might be propagating its view.  Is this assumption correct?

> On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 9:02 PM, aaron morton <aaron@thelastpickle.com> wrote:
> It is possible to change IP address of a node, background http://cassandra-user-incubator-apache-org.3065146.n2.nabble.com/change-node-IP-address-td6197607.html

> If you have already bought a new node back with a different IP and the nodes in the cluster
have different views of the ring (nodetool ring) you should see
> http://www.datastax.com/docs/0.7/troubleshooting/index#view-of-ring-differs-between-some-nodes

> What version are you on and what does nodetool ring say?
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> -----------------
> Aaron Morton
> Freelance Cassandra Developer
> @aaronmorton
> http://www.thelastpickle.com
>
> On 9 May 2011, at 12:24, Venkat Rama wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to bring up a new node (with different IP) to replace a dead node on
cassandra 0.7.5.   Rather than bootstrap, I am copying the SSTable files to the new node(backed
up files) as my data runs into several GB.  Although the node successfully joins the ring,
some of the ring nodes still seem to point to the old dead node as seen from ring command.
 Is there a way to notify all nodes about the new node?  Am looking for options that can bring
the cluster back to it original state in a faster and reliable manner since I do have all
the SSTable files.
>> One option I looked at was to remove all system table and restart the entire cluster.
 But I loose the schemas with this approach.