From Jonathan Ellis <>
Subject Re: compaction strategy
Date Sat, 07 May 2011 12:54:09 GMT
On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 2:01 AM, Terje Marthinussen
<> wrote:
> 1. Would it make sense to make full compactions occur a bit more aggressive.

I'd rather reduce the performance impact of being behind, than do more
full compactions:

> 2. I
> would think the code should be smart enough to either trigger a full
> compaction and scrap the current queue, or at least merge some of those
> pending tasks into larger ones

Not crazy but a queue-rewriter would be nontrivial. For now I'm okay
with saying "add capacity until compaction can mostly keep up." (Most
people's problem is making compaction LESS aggressive, hence

Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra