From Sasha Dolgy <sdo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: EC2 node adding trouble
Date Thu, 26 May 2011 13:16:20 GMT
As an aside, you can also use that command to pull meta-data about
instances in AWS.  I have implemented this to maintain a list of seed
nodes.  This way, when a new instance is brought online, the default
cassandra.yaml is `enhanced` to contain a dynamic list of valid seeds,
proper hostname and a few other bits of useful information.

Finally, if you aren't using a single security group for all of your
cassandra instances, maybe this may be of help to you.  When we add
new nodes to our ring, we add them to a single cassandra security
group.  No messing about with security groups per instance...

-sd

and using up elastic IPs, I found this service which I'd not seen before: http://www.ducea.com/2009/06/01/howto-update-dns-hostnames-automatically-for-your-amazon-ec2-instances/

> This means you can reliably set (and reset as necessary) a listen address with this command:
>
> sed -i "s/^listen_address:.*/listen_address: `curl http://169.254.169.254/latest/meta-data/local-ipv4`/"
/etc/cassandra/cassandra.yaml

> It's not quite as good as having a true dynamic hostname, but at least you can drop it
in a startup script and forget it.