From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Migrating all rows from 0.6.13 to 0.7.5 over thrift?
Date Sun, 08 May 2011 01:31:04 GMT
Right, that's sort of a half-repair: it will repair differences in
replies it got, but it won't doublecheck md5s on the rest in the
background. So if you're doing CL.ONE reads this is a no-op.

On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 4:25 PM, aaron morton <aaron@thelastpickle.com> wrote:
> I remembered something like that so had a look at RangeSliceResponseResolver.resolve()
 in 0.6.12 and it looks like it schedules the repairs...

>            protected Row getReduced()
>            {
>                ColumnFamily resolved = ReadResponseResolver.resolveSuperset(versions);
>                ReadResponseResolver.maybeScheduleRepairs(resolved, table, key,
versions, versionSources);
>                versions.clear();
>                versionSources.clear();
>                return new Row(key, resolved);
>            }
>

> Is that right?
>

> -----------------
> Aaron Morton
> Freelance Cassandra Developer
> @aaronmorton
> http://www.thelastpickle.com
>
> On 8 May 2011, at 00:48, Jonathan Ellis wrote:
>
>> range_slices respects consistencylevel, but only single-row reads and
>> multiget do the *repair* part of RR.
>>
>> On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 1:44 AM, aaron morton <aaron@thelastpickle.com> wrote:
>>> get_range_slices() does read repair if enabled (checked DoConsistencyChecksBoolean
in the config, it's on by default) so you should be getting good reads. If you want belt-and-braces
run nodetool repair first.

>>> Hope that helps.

I could migrate a few thousand rows per second, which means that migrating all of our data
would take a few minutes, and we'll end up with pristine datafiles for the new cluster. Problem
solved!

so that you all can repeat this and hopefully fix it.

talk to driftx or jbellis or aaron_morton about your problem.  It could be that you don't
have to do all of this based on a conversation there.

the other system (so you know can check referential integrity while you are at it). Dump the
data to flat file.

dump and reload if you've done nothing wrong is not the best solution. I'll try to find some
time this weekend to test with:

the user group or my email address.

have rows stored that have unicode keys, and Cassandra 0.7.5 thinks those rows in the sstables
are corrupt, and it seems impossible to clean it up without losing data.

are now looking at building a simple tool that will copy all rows from our 0.6.3 cluster to
a parallell 0.7.5 cluster. Our question is now how to do that and ensure that we actually
get all rows migrated? It's a pretty small cluster, 3 machines, a single keyspace, a singke
columnfamily, ~2 million rows, a few GB of data, and a replication factor of 3.

the entire token space? We also have all row keys in a secondary system, would it be better
to use that and make calls to get_multi or get_multi_slices instead? Are we correct in assuming
that if we use the consistencylevel ALL we'll get all rows?