From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Memory Usage During Read
Date Sun, 08 May 2011 01:37:49 GMT
The live:serialized size ratio depends on what your data looks like
(small columns will be less efficient than large blobs) but using the
rule of thumb of 10x, around 1G * (1 + memtable_flush_writers +
memtable_flush_queue_size).

So first thing I would do is drop writers and queue to 1 and 1.

Then I would drop the max heap to 1G, memtable size to 8MB so the heap
dump is easier to analyze. Then let it OOM and look at the dump with
http://www.eclipse.org/mat/

On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 3:54 PM, Serediuk, Adam
<Adam.Serediuk@serialssolutions.com> wrote:
> How much memory should a single hot cf with a 128mb memtable take with row and key caching
disabled during read?

> Because I'm seeing heap go from 3.5gb skyrocketing straight to max (regardless of the
size, 8gb and 24gb both do the same) at which time the jvm will do nothing but full gc and
is unable to reclaim any meaningful amount of memory. Cassandra then becomes unusable.

> I see the same behavior with smaller memtables, eg 64mb.
>
> This happens well into the read operation an only on a small number of nodes in the cluster(1-4
out of a total of 60 nodes.)

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On May 6, 2011, at 22:45, "Jonathan Ellis" <jbellis@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> You don't GC storm without legitimately having a too-full heap.  It's
>> normal to see occasional full GCs from fragmentation, but that will
>> actually compact the heap and everything goes back to normal IF you
>> had space actually freed up.
>>
>> You say you've played w/ memtable size but that would still be my bet.
>> Most people severely underestimate how much space this takes (10x in
>> memory over serialized size), which will bite you when you have lots
>> of CFs defined.
>>
>> Otherwise, force a heap dump after a full GC and take a look to see
>> what's referencing all the memory.
>>
>> On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 12:25 PM, Serediuk, Adam
>> <Adam.Serediuk@serialssolutions.com> wrote:
>>> We're troubleshooting a memory usage problem during batch reads. We've spent
the last few days profiling and trying different GC settings. The symptoms are that after
a certain amount of time during reads one or more nodes in the cluster will exhibit extreme
memory pressure followed by a gc storm. We've tried every possible JVM setting and different
GC methods and the issue persists. This is pointing towards something instantiating a lot
of objects and keeping references so that they can't be cleaned up.

>>> Typically nothing is ever logged other than the GC failures however just now
one of the nodes emitted logs we've never seen before:

>>>  INFO [ScheduledTasks:1] 2011-05-06 15:04:55,085 StorageService.java (line 2218)
Unable to reduce heap usage since there are no dirty column families

>>> We have tried increasing the heap on these nodes to large values, eg 24GB and
still run into the same issue. We're running 8GB of heap normally and only one or two nodes
will ever exhibit this issue, randomly. We don't use key/row caching and our memtable sizing
is 64mb/0.3. Larger or smaller memtables make no difference in avoiding the issue. We're on
0.7.5, mmap, jna and jdk 1.6.0_24