From Sylvain Lebresne <>
Subject Re: Inter node communication over UDP
Date Fri, 20 May 2011 08:48:41 GMT
On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 9:39 AM, pankajsoni0126
<> wrote:
> I am working on version 0.7.6 of cassandra. I have been looking into the code
> to identify communication between nodes.
> it seems to me that both inter-node and servernode-client communication
> happens using thrift protocol, is my understanding correct?

No. inter-node communication uses MessagingService that itself uses
OutboundTcpConnection that just write serialized Message to a tcp socket
(using a message queue). None of this uses thrift.

> and the gossiper communication takes place using tcp and message queue?

Yes, but actually gossip uses MessagingService too. So gossip communication
is really just one type of inter-node communication.