From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Does anybody have experience with running Cassandra in Amazon's Virtual Private Cloud (VPC)?
Date Fri, 06 May 2011 00:01:32 GMT
There have been some recent discussions about different EC2 deployments, may be be exactly
what you are looking for but try start here
http://cassandra-user-incubator-apache-org.3065146.n2.nabble.com/Re-IP-address-resolution-in-MultiDC-setup-EC2-VIP-td6306635.html

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 6 May 2011, at 09:21, Sameer Farooqui wrote:

> Here is an image that shows what the Amazon VPC we're thinking about using looks like:
>
> http://i.imgur.com/OUe1i.png
>

> We would like to configure a 2 node Cassandra cluster in the private subnet and a read/write
web application service in the public subnet. However, we also want to span the Cassandra
cluster across from the Virginia VPC to a California VPC and have 2 Cassandra nodes in the
private subnet in Virginia and 1 node in the private subnet in California.

> Amazon states that EC2 instances in Virginia’s VPC can communicate with EC2 instances
in California’s VPC as long as all communication takes place over the internet gateway of
each VPC and uses Elastic IP addresses as the specified source or destination address.

> But Amazon also says that “EIP addresses should only be used on instances in subnets
configured to route their traffic directly to the Internet Gateway”. So, by this they must
mean the public subnet in the diagram above. Amazon goes on to say “EIPs cannot be used
on instances in subnets configured to use a NAT instance to access the Internet.”

> It looks like we cannot have a Cassandra cluster spanning two Private Subnets in two
different regions. Can somebody with VPC experience confirm this?

> Also has anybody successfully deployed a Cassandra cluster in private subnets spanning
multiple regions? Any tips from your experience? How did you find the latency over VPCs and
gateways across regions?