From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Newbie question
Date Tue, 10 May 2011 23:12:19 GMT
Depending on the data size and workload consider storing the data under both keys, in the same
CF.  e.g. keys "id/1234" and "name/MrFoo" are different rows with the same data in them.

Or us secondary indexes or a custom index using another CF  as Narenda suggests. Secondary
indexes are doing pretty much the same thing, just server side and a bit faster.

Hope that helps.

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 11 May 2011, at 04:14, Narendra Sharma wrote:

> You can have only one ordering defined in a CF. Super CF will allow you to have nested
ordering i.e. SC can have one ordering whereas columns within SC can have other ordering.
Note this is defined at CF level and cannot be defined at SC level.

> To model what you are trying to do, you can check if secondary indexes will be useful
(assuming you have standard CF). If not you can create another CF that will just keep NAME
as column name and ID as column value. This will ensure ordering by NAME and pointer to original
column (or SC depending on your schema). The downside is you will need to run 2 queries to
get the data.

> -Naren
>
> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 6:33 AM, Sam Ganesan <sam.ganesan@motorola.com> wrote:
> All:
>
> A newbie question to the aficianados.  I understand that I can stipulate an ordering
mechanism when I create a column family to reflect what I am querying in the long run.  Generally
I need to query a particular column space that I am contructing based on two different columns.
 The frequency of these queries is not that different from each other.  I query based on a
numberical ID or a name with equal frequency.