From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: EC2 node adding trouble
Date Wed, 25 May 2011 00:10:35 GMT
Check the listen_address and rpc_address in the yaml file for each node. I think they are normally
set to the private and public respectively.

This may make your live easier
http://www.datastax.com/dev/blog/setting-up-a-cassandra-cluster-with-the-datastax-ami

Cheers
-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 25 May 2011, at 09:58, Sameer Farooqui wrote:

> Even with AutoBootstrap it is recommended that you always specify the InitialToken on
the new node because the picking of an initial token will almost certainly result in an unbalanced
ring.

> Right now, I'm afraid that if you simply copied the YAML file from one of the two nodes
to the 3rd node, then the 3rd node has an incorrect initial_token setting (it may be conflicting
with node 1 or 2's range).

> Some info about how to choose tokens:
> http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/Operations#Token_selection
> http://journal.paul.querna.org/articles/2010/09/24/cassandra-token-selection/
>
> So, once you know what token each of the 3 nodes should have, shut down the first two
nodes, change their tokens and add the correct token to the 3rd node (in the YAML file).

> If this doesn't fix it, start to look at the Cassandra log file to troubleshoot. It's
located usually at /var/log/cassandra and is by default only logging at INFO level. You can
make it more granular by changing the logging level in the file <cassandra-home>/conf/log4j-server.properties
and change the line with INFO in it to:
> log4j.rootLogger=DEBUG,stdout,R
>
> Note that this will slow things down performance-wise in the cluster since every I/O
is logged. But it really helps with learning how Cassandra works and with troubleshooting.

> research links:
> http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/FAQ#existing_data_when_adding_new_nodes
>

> On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 12:17 PM, Marcus Bointon <marcus@synchromedia.co.uk> wrote:
> On 24 May 2011, at 19:33, Sameer Farooqui wrote:
>
> > What region and availability zones are the different nodes in? Are you using EC2
Snitch? Did you set up the cluster using the Datastax AMI?

> The two existing ones are in us-east-1c and us-east-1d, the new one is in us-east-1c,
so all same region, different AZs. I'm using the Alestic Ubuntu AMIs. I've not heard of either
EC2 snitch or Datastax. Are they particularly suited to cassandra?