From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Unable to add columns to empty row in Column family: Cassandra
Date Thu, 12 May 2011 02:17:20 GMT
How do you delete the data in the cli ? Is it a row delete e.g. del MyCF['my-key'];

What client are you using the insert the row the second time ? e.g. custom thrift wrapper
or pycassa

How is the second read done, via the cli ?

Does the same test work when you only use your app ?

Cassandra-cli will be using the current time as it's time stamp for the delete. If I had to
guess what was happening it would be a problem with the timestamps your app is creating.

Thanks

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 12 May 2011, at 12:42, anuya joshi wrote:

> Thanks aaron. here come the details:
>
> 1) Version: 0.7.4
> 2) Its a two node cluster with RF=2
> 3) It works perfectly after 1st get. Then I delete all the columns in a row. Finally,
I try to insert into the same row with same row id. However, its not getting inserted programmatically.

> Thanks,
> Anuya
>
> On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 2:03 AM, aaron morton <aaron@thelastpickle.com> wrote:
> If your are still having problems can you say what version, how many nodes, what RF,
what CL and if after inserting and failing on the first get it works on a subsequent get.

> Thanks
> Aaron
>
> On 3 May 2011, at 18:54, chovatia jaydeep wrote:
>
>> One small correction in my mail below.
>> Second insertion time-stamp has to be greater than delete time-stamp in-order to
retrieve the data.

>> Thank you,
>> Jaydeep

If so, then please check the time-stamp when you reinserted after delete operation. Your second
insertion time-stamp has to be greater than the previous insertion.

>> Thank you,
>> Jaydeep

The problem I am facing currently is as follows:

>> 1) I added a row and columns in it dynamically via Thrift API Client
>> 2) Next, I used command line client to delete row which actually deleted all the
columns in it, leaving empty row with original row id.