From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Import/Export of Schema Migrations
Date Fri, 13 May 2011 09:51:24 GMT
What sort of schema changes are you making?  can you manage them as a CLI script under source
control ?

You may also be interested in  CASSANDRA-2221.

Cheers
Aaron
-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 12 May 2011, at 20:45, David Boxenhorn wrote:

> My use case is like this: I have a development cluster, a staging cluster and a production
cluster. When I finish a set of migrations (i.e. changes) on the development cluster, I want
to apply them to the staging cluster, and eventually the production cluster. I don't want
to do it by hand, because it's a painful and error-prone process. What I would like to do
is export the last N migrations from the development cluster as a text file, with exactly
the same format as the original text commands, and import them to the staging and production
clusters.

> I think the best place to do this might be the CLI, since you would probably want to
view your migrations before exporting them. Something like this:

> show migrations N;                    Shows the last N migrations.
> export migrations N <fileName>;       Exports the last N migrations to file fileName.
> import migrations <fileName>;         Imports migrations from fileName.
>
> The import process would apply the migrations one at a time giving you feedback like,
"applying migration: update column family...". If a migration fails, the process should give
an appropriate message and stop.