incubator-cassandra-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Marcus Bointon <mar...@synchromedia.co.uk>
Subject Re: EC2 node adding trouble
Date Thu, 26 May 2011 12:36:56 GMT
Thanks for all your helpful suggestions - I've now got it working. It was down to a combination
of things.

1. A missing rule in a security group
2. A missing DNS name for the new node, so its default name was defaulting to localhost
3. Google DNS caching the failed DNS lookup for the full duration of the SOA's TTL

In order to avoid the whole problem with assigning IPs using the internal/external trick and
using up elastic IPs, I found this service which I'd not seen before: http://www.ducea.com/2009/06/01/howto-update-dns-hostnames-automatically-for-your-amazon-ec2-instances/

This means you can reliably set (and reset as necessary) a listen address with this command:

sed -i "s/^listen_address:.*/listen_address: `curl http://169.254.169.254/latest/meta-data/local-ipv4`/"
/etc/cassandra/cassandra.yaml

It's not quite as good as having a true dynamic hostname, but at least you can drop it in
a startup script and forget it.

Marcus
Mime
View raw message