From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: EC2 node adding trouble
Date Wed, 25 May 2011 22:17:01 GMT
I've seen discussion of using the EIP but I do not have direct experience.

Others may be able to provide more help.

Previous discussion
http://cassandra-user-incubator-apache-org.3065146.n2.nabble.com/Does-anybody-have-experience-with-running-Cassandra-in-Amazon-s-Virtual-Private-Cloud-VPC-td6335709.html

cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 25 May 2011, at 18:49, Marcus Bointon wrote:

> On 25 May 2011, at 02:10, aaron morton wrote:
>
>> Check the listen_address and rpc_address in the yaml file for each node. I think
they are normally set to the private and public respectively.

> On all modes, listen_address and rpc_address are blank and 0.0.0.0 respectively, the
seed node address uses an EC2 external elastic IP's DNS name so that it resolves correctly
to the seed's internal IP even if it changes. Those settings work fine for my existing pair
- starting and stopping the instances (resulting in internal IP changes) doesn't break anything.
As far as I can see, setting fixed IPs in here is a recipe for management nightmares on EC2.