Pelops will retry when TimedOutException, TTransportException or UnavailableException exceptions are thrown but not TApplicationException.  TApplicationException has a type property which looks like it could be used to retry based on specific values.  Based on the names the INTERNAL_ERROR and BAD_SEQUENCE_ID types sound like good candidates for a retry.

I just did a quick hunt through the Pycassa and Hector code and it doesn't look like they do anything special based on the type property.

Jonathan (or other Cassandra gurus) should connection managers take different actions based on these type property of TApplicationException?