Not sure, but I've been playing with running cassandra in the same VM as an HTTP server for a pet project of mine, using a similar technique as the one found in the Solandra  project. It does use ports on localhost, but hopefully gives you an idea of embedding cassandra (no clue if its a good idea or not yet, still playing with it myself).

cheers,
-kirk

https://github.com/tjake/Solandra