Pelops uses a single connection per operation from a pool that is backed by Apache Commons Pool (assuming you're using Cassandra 0.7).  I'm not saying it's perfect but it's NOT sharing a connection over multiple threads.

Dan Hendry mentioned that he sees these errors.  Is he also using Pelops?  From his comment about retrying I'd assume not...

--
Dan Washusen