From Edward Capriolo <edlinuxg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Embedding Cassandra in Java code w/o using ports
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2011 15:12:23 GMT
On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 8:29 AM, aaron morton <aaron@thelastpickle.com> wrote:
> I'm interested to know more about the problems using the CLI.
>
> Aaron.
>
> On 2 Apr 2011, at 15:07, Bob Futrelle wrote:
>
>> Connecting via CLI to local host with a port number has never been successful for
me in Snow Leopard.  No amount of reading suggestions and varying the approach has worked.
 So I'm going to talk to Cassandra via its API, from Java.

>> But I noticed that in some code samples that call the API from Java, ports are also
in play.  In using Derby in Java I've never had to designate any ports.  Is such a  strategy
available with Cassandra?

>>  - Bob Futrelle
>>    Northeastern U.

I realize you do not want to open ports at all. One thing I do is
leverage the private loop back addresses that are on each computer
127.0.0.1,127.0.0.2-127.255.255.254.