From Adrian Cockcroft <adrian.cockcr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: best way to backup
Date Thu, 28 Apr 2011 21:15:25 GMT
Netflix has also gone down this path, we run a regular full backup to
S3 of a compressed tar, and we have scripts that restore everything
into the right place on a different cluster (it needs the same node
count). We also pick up the SSTables as they are created, and drop
them in S3.

Whatever you do, make sure you have a regular process to restore the
data and verify that it contains what you think it should...

Adrian

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 1:35 PM, Jeremy Hanna
<jeremy.hanna1234@gmail.com> wrote:
> one thing we're looking at doing is watching the cassandra data directory and backing
up the sstables to s3 when they are created.  Some guys at simplegeo started tablesnap that
does this:
> https://github.com/simplegeo/tablesnap
>
> What it does is for every sstable that is pushed to s3, it also copies a json file with
the current files in the directory, so you can know what to restore in that event (as far
as I understand).

> On Apr 28, 2011, at 2:53 PM, William Oberman wrote:
>
>> Even with N-nodes for redundancy, I still want to have backups.  I'm an amazon person,
so naturally I'm thinking S3.  Reading over the docs, and messing with nodeutil, it looks
like each new snapshot contains the previous snapshot as a subset (and I've read how cassandra
uses hard links to avoid excessive disk use).  When does that pattern break down?

>> I'm basically debating if I can do a "rsync" like backup, or if I should do a compressed
tar backup.  And I obviously want multiple points in time.  S3 does allow file versioning,
if a file or file name is changed/resused over time (only matters in the rsync case).  My
only concerns with compressed tars is I'll have to have free space to create the archive and
I get no "delta" space savings on the backup (the former is solved by not allowing the disk
space to get so low and/or adding more nodes to bring down the space, the latter is solved
by S3 being really cheap anyways).