From Maki Watanabe <watanabe.m...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Expanding single node to 2 node cluster
Date Wed, 27 Apr 2011 13:01:20 GMT
Why don't you just add new node to ring and removetoken of the bad one?

2011/4/27 maneela a <maneelia@yahoo.com>

> Hi,
> I had a 2 node cassandra cluster with replication factor 2 and OrderPreservingPartitioner
but we did not provide InitialToken in the configuration files. One of the node was affected
in the recent AWS EBS outage and had been partitioned from cluster. However, I continued
to allowed all write operations to other survived node because I thought AWS could recovered
EBS issues with in 24 hours so Survived node might take care of propagating 2nd replica from
its hinted column family to the bad node when it recovered from EBS issues. Unfortunately
AWS had taken longer than we expected almost 4 days. So instead of recovering 2nd node by
playing hinted CF from node1, I did the following sequence of events in order to get 2nd
node back to cluster
> 1) shut down cassandra service on good node
> 2) removed all hinted CF files
> 3) Taken EBS snapshot
> 4) Launched new EBS volumes from above snapshot and mounted them on 2nd node
> 5) Also copied commitlogs from node1 to node2
> in other words, I cloned node1 and mounted on node2, my assumption is cluster with 2
nodes with replication 2 should likely be mirrored images
> 6) brought up service on both nodes
> 7) I am not seeing both IP address as part of ring when I ran nodetool command
> root@domU-12-31-39-0F-CA-61:/mnt/logs/cassandra# nodetool -h localhost ring
> Address       Status     Load          Range
                 Ring
> 10.193.201.139Up         434.77 GB     RVtMj8gWiKG0baPy
          |<--|
> root@ip-10-196-107-47:/data/cassandra/data/system# nodetool -h localhost ring
> Address       Status     Load          Range
                 Ring
> 10.193.201.139Up         434.77 GB     RVtMj8gWiKG0baPy
          |<--|

> I guess this behavior is happening because both nodes are having same data including
Locationinfo CF and commit logs as well. Can someone direct me what should be done here to
get both IPs as part of ring?

--
w3m