From Ryan King <r...@twitter.com>
Subject Re: CQL, 0.8, and need for language drivers
Date Wed, 13 Apr 2011 18:09:34 GMT
On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 7:16 PM, Jeremy Hanna
<jeremy.hanna1234@gmail.com> wrote:
> As some may have heard, CQL is going to be in 0.8.  It's a level of abstraction that
will hopefully make the lives of client developers substantially easier.  The ideal is to
make it so client devs only need to do work to make a client idiomatic to a language or even
a framework within a language.  Work has already been done to add a Java driver (even a JDBC
driver), a Python driver (even a dbapi driver and Python Twisted driver), and work is under
way to add a PHP driver and a node.js driver

> Cassandra 0.8 is part of a shorter release cycle and will include CQL.  It will be going
to its first beta shortly.

> If you would like to help get support into 0.8 with a driver for your favorite language,
take a look at the examples already in the source tree and dig in.  Use the client-dev@cassandra.apache.org
Jira for any communication.  Each driver needs its own Jira ticket.

> See:
> https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/cassandra/branches/cassandra-0.8/doc/cql/CQL.html?view=co
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-1703 - CQL umbrella ticket
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-2402 - python dbapi ticket
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-2453 - node.js
> The rest of the drivers are either in the source tree under:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cassandra/branches/cassandra-0.8/drivers/
> or are still being talked about on the mailing list.
>
> Thanks to Eric Evans and Gary Dusbabek and others for all their hard work!

We currently don't have a ton of time to work on the fauna cassandra
client [github.com/fauna/cassandra] but if someone else would like to
take this on I'd be happy to review and merge it.

-ryan