From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Pygmalion - a github project for pig + cassandra
Date Wed, 27 Apr 2011 19:31:30 GMT
Nice!

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 1:57 PM, Jeremy Hanna
<jeremy.hanna1234@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A little while back, I started a project called pygmalion for example scripts and UDFs
for people using Pig with Cassandra.  Currently there are a few handy UDFs in there like:

> FromCassandraBag: a way to convert from what Cassandra returns (key:chararray, columns:bag
{column:tuple (name, value)}) to something more tabular (key, value1, value2, value3).  You
specify the values you want to project - it's good for tabular data.
> ToCassandraBag: a way to convert from (key, value1, value2, value3) to what Cassandra
expects when writing - (key:chararray, columns:bag {column:tuple (name, value)}) - the column
names are extracted from the variable names in the Pig script.
> Both contributed by Jacob Perkins with slight revisions by Jeremy Hanna
>
> StringConcat: probably something everyone implements but instead of CONCAT that only
does two strings, it does any number of strings.

> GenerateTimeUUID: a udf that generates a time uuid with or without a time to base it
on.

> https://github.com/jeromatron/pygmalion/
>
> It definitely needs more work and examples, but I've been using the UDFs in there for
a while with Cassandra 0.7.5 (previously 0.7-branch).  Now that 0.7.5 is released, I'd just
like to let people know about it if they would like to contribute or even just use it.

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra