From Jonathan Colby <jonathan.co...@gmail.com>
Subject OldNetworkTopology and Quorum
Date Tue, 05 Apr 2011 14:50:07 GMT
Hi experts,

We have a cluster of 4 nodes across 2 data centers and we are using OldNetworkTopology to
balance the replicas (RF=3).

Question:    Can we afford to lose 1 node in a data center and still have Quorum work?

My understanding is that OldNetworkTopology writes 2 to the "local" data center and "1" to
the remote data center.

If a node goes down, will cassandra switch to write 2 replicas to the remote data center and
1 to the local data center to compromise for the fact that there is only 1 local node alive?
  Or is writing 2 to local and 1 to remote a "do or die" situation?

Thanks!