From Drew Kutcharian <d...@venarc.com>
Subject Re: Atomicity Strategies
Date Fri, 08 Apr 2011 22:46:36 GMT
I'm interested in this too, but I don't think this can be done with Cassandra alone. Cassandra
doesn't support transactions. I think hector can retry operations, but I'm not sure about
the atomicity of the whole thing.

On Apr 8, 2011, at 1:26 PM, Alex Araujo wrote:

> Hi, I was wondering if there are any patterns/best practices for creating atomic units
of work when dealing with several column families and their inverted indices.

> For example, if I have Users and Groups column families and did something like:
>
> Users.insert( user_id, columns )
> UserGroupTimeline.insert( group_id, { timeuuid() : user_id } )
> UserGroupStatus.insert( group_id + ":" + user_id, { "Active" : "True" } )
> UserEvents.insert( timeuuid(), { "user_id" : user_id, "group_id" : group_id, "event_type"
: "join" } )

> Would I want the client to retry all subsequent operations that failed against other
nodes after n succeeded,  maintain an "undo" queue of operations to run, batch the mutations
and choose a strong consistency level, some combination of these/others, etc?