From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: unrepairable sstable data rows
Date Mon, 11 Apr 2011 20:58:39 GMT
FYI, I was chatting with Dominic Williams on IRC yesterday, he had an 0.7.4 install with the
same problem see error stack here http://pastebin.com/YasPtEYj

He has not run nodetool scrub but I think it the 0.7.4 install had been there a while so I
the data file may have been fresh.

Aaron

On 11 Apr 2011, at 22:30, Sylvain Lebresne wrote:

> Remove main-f-5-{Index|Filter|Statistics}.db files. They make no sense
> without a Data file and
> Cassandra always make sure it removes those before the Data file (that
> while it gets confused if it
> finds one of those file without a data file).
>
> Note that your error was with the sstable main-f-232-Data.db, so it
> would probably have been enough
> to remove only main-f-232* (while it seems you have also removed
> main-f-5-Data.db). I fear its probably
> too late (it will just be potentially much more data to repair than necessary).
>
> Out of curiosity, what version of Cassandra are you running ?
>
> --
> Sylvain
>
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 12:08 PM, Jonathan Colby
> <jonathan.colby@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks for the answer Aaron.
>>
>> There are Data, Index, Filter, and Statistics files associated with SSTables.   What
files must be physically moved/deleted?

>> I tried just moving the Data file and Cassandra would not start. I see this exception:
>>
>>  WARN [WrapperSimpleAppMain] 2011-04-11 12:04:23,239 ColumnFamilyStore.java (line
493) Removing orphans for /var/lib/cassandra/data/DFS/main-f-5: [Data.db]
>> ERROR [WrapperSimpleAppMain] 2011-04-11 12:04:23,240 AbstractCassandraDaemon.java
(line 333) Exception encountered during startup.
>> java.lang.AssertionError: attempted to delete non-existing file main-f-5-Data.db
>>        at org.apache.cassandra.io.util.FileUtils.deleteWithConfirm(FileUtils.java:46)
>>        at org.apache.cassandra.io.util.FileUtils.deleteWithConfirm(FileUtils.java:41)
       at org.apache.cassandra.db.ColumnFamilyStore.scrubDataDirectories(ColumnFamilyStore.java:498)
>>        at org.apache.cassandra.service.AbstractCassandraDaemon.setup(AbstractCassandraDaemon.java:153)
>>
>> On Apr 11, 2011, at 2:14 AM, aaron morton wrote:
>>
>>> But if you wanted to get fresh data on the node, a simple approach is to delete/move
just the SSTable that is causing problems then run a repair. That should reduce the amount
of data that needs to be moved.