From Alex Araujo <cassandra-us...@alex.otherinbox.com>
Subject Atomicity Strategies
Date Fri, 08 Apr 2011 20:26:38 GMT
Hi, I was wondering if there are any patterns/best practices for
creating atomic units of work when dealing with several column families
and their inverted indices.

For example, if I have Users and Groups column families and did
something like:

Users.insert( user_id, columns )
UserGroupTimeline.insert( group_id, { timeuuid() : user_id } )
UserGroupStatus.insert( group_id + ":" + user_id, { "Active" : "True" } )
UserEvents.insert( timeuuid(), { "user_id" : user_id, "group_id" :
group_id, "event_type" : "join" } )

Would I want the client to retry all subsequent operations that failed
against other nodes after n succeeded,  maintain an "undo" queue of
operations to run, batch the mutations and choose a strong consistency
level, some combination of these/others, etc?

Thanks,
Alex