From Chris Goffinet ...@chrisgoffinet.com>
Subject Re: nodetool move hammers the next node in the ring
Date Sat, 09 Apr 2011 03:41:18 GMT
We also have a ticket open at

We have observed in production the impact of streaming data to new nodes being added. We actually
have our entire dataset in page cache in one of our clusters, our 99th percentiles go from
20ms to >1 second on streaming nodes when bootstrapping in new nodes because of blowing
out the page cache during the process. We are hoping to have this addressed soon. I think
throttling of streaming would be good too, to help minimize saturating the network card on
the streaming node. Dynamic snitch should help with this, we'll try to report back our results
very soon on what it looks like for that case.

-Chris

On Apr 8, 2011, at 7:35 PM, aaron morton wrote:

> My brain just started working. The streaming for the move may need to be throttled, but
once the file has been received the bloom filters, row indexes and secondary indexes are built.
That will also take some effort, do you have any secondary indexes?

> If you are doing a move again could you try turing up logging to DEBUG on one of the
neighbour nodes. Once the file has been received you will see a message saying "Finished {file_name}.
Sending ack to {remote_ip}". After this log message the rebuilds will start,  would be interesting
to see what is more heavy weight I'm guessing the rebuilds.

> This is similar to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-2156 but that ticket
will not cover this case. I've added this use case to the comments, please check there if
you want to follow along.

> Cheers
> Aaron
>

> On 6 Apr 2011, at 16:26, Jonathan Colby wrote:
>
>> thanks for the response Aaron.   Our cluster has 6 nodes with 10 GB load on each.
  RF=3.    AMD 64 bit Blades, Quad Core, 8 GB ram,  running Debian Linux.  Swap off.  Cassandra
0.7.4

>> On Apr 6, 2011, at 2:40 AM, aaron morton wrote:
>>
>>> Not that I know of, may be useful to be able to throttle things. But if the receiving
node has little head room it may still be overwhelmed.

>>> Currently there is a single thread for streaming. If we were to throttle it may
be best to make it multi threaded with a single concurrent stream per end point.

>>> Out of interest how many nodes do you have and whats the RF?
>>>
>>> Aaron

next node in such a way that it really strains the receiving node - to the point where it
has a problem serving requests.