It looks like we are having an issue with the Thrift installation on the 'other' machine.  We spun up a cassandra instance on that machine and were unable to connect locally through php, but I was able to connect from the original cassandra machine with PHP.  That sounds convoluted...but in short, it looks like our main problem is with the Thrift PHP module.