We found this was very helpful:

http://simplygenius.com/2010/08/jconsole-via-socks-ssh-tunnel.html
(http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/Operations#Monitoring)

- fduan

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 9:10 PM, Sameer Farooqui <cassandralabs@gmail.com> wrote:
I want to use JConsole to look at the Cassandra's MBean's attributes (like Memtable stats).

But since my Cassandra nodes are running on Amazon EC2 instances, I have to use an ssh login with a ppk authentication file (when connecting via Putty, anyway).

It looks like two popular approaches to establishing a JConsole connection to an EC2 node are:
-  VNC (can't use b/c my linux nodes don't have a GUI)
- run JConsole on the remote box and export its display locally via X (would bet too slow b/c of latency between Amazon datacenter and me)

What techniques are others using to connect to EC2 nodes with JConsole?

- Sameer

--
Frank Duan
aiMatch