You can use PHP Solr Extension. It is a fully featured and light-weight client.

http://www.php.net/manual/en/book.solr.php

Without the secondary indexes on columns in CFs within SCFs, the best approach is to create query-specific CFs at the moment. In the end all comes down to how simple you can make your queries to have a minimum CF count.

Regards,
Burc