Yes, two per DC is a recommendation I've heard from Jonathan Ellis.  We put that in yet more documentation at http://www.datastax.com/dev/tutorials/getting_started_0.7/configuring#seed-list (appreciate the citation Aaron :)

I had a recent conversation with a Cassandra expert who had me convinced that, as long as a node online already had one seed in its list at startup, you wouldn't really need to restart it -- at least right away -- after adding a second seed to the config.  Rather than confuse the issue by trying to remember/recreate the rationale for that, I'll ping him and see if he'll comment here.