On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 7:37 PM, aaron morton <aaron@thelastpickle.com> wrote:
There is some additional memory usage in the JVM beyond that Heap size, in the permanent generation. 900mb sounds like too much for that, but you can check by connecting with JConsole and looking at the memory tab. You can also check the heap size there to see that it's under the value you've set.

Thanks for the tip!

From JConsole:
Heap memory usage: Current 46M; Max 902M
Non-Heap memory usage: Current 34M; Max 200MB

Both of these seem reasonable and don't reach the (current) 2.1 GB resident usage I am seeing.

Check you are using standard disk access (in conf/cassandra.yaml) rather than memory mapped access. However the memory mapped memory is reported as virtual memory, not resident. So I'm just mentioning it to be complete.

At the moment, it's set to "auto", but it's a 64-bit machine, so I believe it's using memory mapped.  The virtual memory usage says that it is 54.6 GB.

If you think you've configured things correctly and the JVM is not behaving (which is unlikely) please include some information on the JVM and OS versions and some hard numbers about what the process is using.

Debian 6.0 using openjdk-6-jre-lib-6b18-1.8.3-2+squeeze1

Thanks for your help.

Casey