It helps, Thanks a lot,
miriam

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 9:50 PM, Aaron Morton <aaron@thelastpickle.com> wrote:
I thought there was more to it.

The steps for move or removing nodes are outlined on the operations page wiki as you probably know.

What approach are you considering to rebalancing the token distribution when removing a node? E.g. If you have 5 nodes and remove 1 the best long term solution is to spread that token range across the remaining 4. This will result in additional data streaming.

My understanding is that Cassandra is designed for a relatively stable number of nodes in the cluster. With the assumption the failures are generally transitory. The features to handle permanent moves and removal are somewhat heavy weight and not designed to be used frequently.

Hope that helps
Aaron